Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A birth story....

I'm ridiculous. I know. Time is just passing and adding weeks and months from my last post. But I'm going to try my hardest to get back on track.

November 3rd, 2012, 37 weeks pregnant,marked my first official day off of 5 weeks of bed rest. It now marks the day Colton Justen came into the world.

The day prior to my release from the hell that is bed rest(due to preterm labor, which I'll explain more in my next post) I decided one day will not make a bit of difference and got all of my loose ends tied. Car inspection, errands all over town, grocery shopping, laundry, and our toilet/septic had issues so we had plumbers in and out all day. By the time I was at my last destination, getting new phones at the Ver.izon store, I was cramping like none other. But I really didn't think much of it. I'd been in preterm labor for 5 weeks and was pretty used to contractions. We finished business and got some dinner at Chilly's. I had some spicy salad which was  delish and we headed home to catch a movie. I then proceeded to eat, sour patch kid.s, and popcorn. I felt about the same with a little increased back pain but that was to be expected as my huge ass had not done that much in some time.
J and I went to bed around 10:30. Due to a tear in my abdominal muscles from CJ being huge, raging heartburn from CJ's head trying to come out of my mouth, and killer sciatic pain I had been "sleeping" sitting up for months. So when I was forced to waddle upstairs to our bathroom to pee at 1:30 I was a bit annoyed. I did my business and went back down to our bedroom. After taking 5 minutes to get back in bed and some sort of comfortable I felt like I had leaked a little. I had been peeing my pants at the rate of a slow drip for awhile and wasn't really surprised. Being exhausted I felt my pants to assess whether or not I needed a costume change. Indeed I did. Now incredibly annoyed I grumbled back up the stairs as my dresser had been moved to accommodate CJ's nursery. When I started to climb the stairs I felt more leak out. I was now infuriated. Convinced I lost all control of bowels and would now be house ridden with a diaper until I finally popped. Once I finally got to the bathroom and fluid was running down my legs a contraction hit. I gasped and laughed all in one. Not bothering to even change or go in the bathroom for that matter I ran back downstairs and tried to wake J.
Me: (calm voice) babe....wake up my water broke.
J: Nu uh (rolls over)
Me: No really. My water broke(still calm)
J: Come on.
Me: GET THE FUCK UP! (No longer calm)

J finally got the picture and jumped out of bed. I kept a cool head from there. But the aggravation of trying to wake him while leaking fluid everywhere and having a contraction made me a wee testy.

I paged my OB and we made an attempt to gather what we needed. I had packed my bag the week prior (thank god) but my one thing I was getting the following day was my travel toiletries and pads in case my water broke. Well guess what my water broke and I had no pads. So J brings me a newborn diaper and tells me to make due.
At this point it had been about 20mins since we'd call my OB and no call back. Since we knew I needed a c-section and my fluid has been low the entire pregnancy we decided to head out without waiting.
 The week prior we had made a trip to L&D for decreased fetal movement and monitoring. Everything proved to be fine and the nurse told us that this can happen close to labor but I was only 36 weeks so they didn't want to check me. At that time she asked if we had taken a birthing class and we were scheduled to take it the following day. She proceeded to tell us that it wasn't really worth it if I was having a c-section so we decided to skip it and enjoy the Sunday at home instead. Well apparently at that class they give you a tour telling you where to go if you go into labor at such and such a time. Having been to the hospital 100's of times I figured we had it handled. Wrong. I had never been to their ER, which was located on the back of the building only accessible by driving around the building and not the main entrance. After waddling around for a half hour and me snapping at J twice a random security guard directed us in the right direction.
We made it to the ER and my calm returned. We were admitted and in the room seeing my OB by 3:00. There was one other woman laboring down the hall and was close to pushing. Once she gave birth we would be ready to roll. By 6:00 I was being wheeled into the OR. At this point I had had 5 painful contractions. When they had me prepped for the spinal I was shaking and transitioning. The nurse told the anesthesiologist to hurry before I had my baby breech right there. Within seconds I was down, numb, and nauseous as all hell. Thankfully they were able to give me something for the nausea and it passed. My OB made a comment about how low CJ was and about to come out on his own and then we heard his cry.
Most beautiful sound in the world.
6:41am 7lb 1oz. 19 1/2"

The story doesn't end there but I'm sure your eyes are bleeding at this point.

Birth Story Part Duex to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment